Sunday, March 29, 2009

Catalyst 3.0

The third catalyst component is serving - something I'm quite familiar with. Being a servant to an individual or a group of people demonstrates your care for others and models after God's care for us. It says in 1 Peter 4:10, we are to serve others with whatever gift we have received. Through acts of service towards others, our experiences will expand our own personal knowledge of God.

I have seen this happen in my life. I'm quite involved in our technical arts ministry at my church and have been amazed at a number of things. First, the sense of community you receive when you helps outs. You develop relationships and establish community through your service. Second, I have gained knowledge of God, His working in my life and the plans yet in store for me. Through the relationships that I've developed, I have been challenged in my own faith, resulting in greater knowledge and understanding. I still have questions and hope to continually ask questions in hopes of expanding my knowledge base. Third, I have gained much technical knowledge specific to the areas where I serve. This knowledge has proved to be beneficial not only in my professional career but is also hopefully setting the stage for my future career plans.

Service doesn't have to be long-term, high volume of hours or doing the hard things. Service can be as simple as handing out bulletins or just being available to answer questions. Yes, some serve in greater roles and have greater responsibilities than others. It's all dependent upon what gift's God has given to you and what He is placing on your heart.

Things I'm pondering...
... how much of an impact one individual can have on person's life...
... sometimes having a plan can be irrelevant...maybe...
... I'm pondering that second thing I'm pondering...

1 comment:

Eric Wentz said...

I totally resonate with your first pondering. How much impact can a person have on another person? How much work does it take to impact them 'fully'? What is God's will regarding person-to-person impact?

Have you read Making Ripples. The big point of it is that we all affect other people. But I want to know how much. Can we quantify our effects?