Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Pieces of the Puzzle

Well, I've made it through day three of the new job and the pieces of the puzzle are finally beginning to take shape. I've had a number of meetings, presentations, webinars, etc. about the different service lines of the business and its starting to make sense. Imagine that!

I still am at the base of the mountain ahead of me but I feel like I'm gaining knowledge and am making some progress. As long as I can keep moving forward, I will be successful. I made a personal observation of myself today as well....I need to focus less on the granular details at this point and focus on 'getting' the big picture. The details will come in due time but I need to get the greater conceptual and overview at this point. I hope I can easily adjust that focus as I wrap up the first week of the new job.

On a side note, I've heard a phase used by more than one employee and multiple times this week and its very motivating and goes to show the character of the employees at this company. In addition, this statement was also directed at me, on my second day of work without the other employees having much prior knowledge of me:

Austin, you are a high-performing individual, in a high-performing organization.

I thought to myself...that's an excellent way to look at it, and incredibly motivating. When I get to work each morning, I think to myself that exact statement. Austin, you are a high-performing individual in a high-performing company. You will do good things today.

What a way to start the day off.

Now, that's work. Thinking about my new grad class and this marketing plan in front of me. I spent some time last night just putting the format and structure together (table of contents, headings, etc) and it amounted to 10 pages! Looking at all the sections, I really don't know how I'll get this done in 7 weeks. But, I will put forth my best effort, that I know. Unfortunately, I am completely ill-motivated tonight so will just be catching up on e-mail and reading some blogs instead tonight.

My ponderings for today...

How long does one need to 'struggle' through life (or what they deem as struggle) before a reward can be obtained?

Love - does it exist? am I looking in the wrong place? am I just not ready?

Exercising actually makes you feel good...how ironic is that! (oh yeah, I am also picking up my routine of visiting the gym again - haven't been there in months but went tonight...feelin' pretty good!)

No comments: