Monday, December 8, 2008

Redesigning Life

I took a step back tonight from the stress of a paper and a fast approaching deadline to recalibrate life. It had been awhile since I had even a moment to make myself a nice dinner, clean my desk (which is where I found mail two weeks old) and just get things organized again.

On my desk I have kept a book that I have mentioned previously.... A Minute of Margin. So, why not, let's open it up and see where the bookmark was last left.

'Redesigning Life" -- how appropriate for me. A few excerpts that seem pertinent:

Civilization, in the real sense of the term, consists not in the multiplication, but in the deliberate and voluntary reduction of wants. This alone promotes real happiness and contentment, and increases the capacity for service. ~~ Mahatma Gandhi

I even used a common statement today....less is more...but yet I can't grasp that concept in my own personal life. I push and push but sometimes I wonder what for? Is it all worth it? Am I truly living? Is this the plan God intended for me?

Another excerpt (paraphrased).... "write down everything you have in your life that consumes time on a piece of paper....then throw it into the fire and wipe the slate clean. Allow God to redesign our lives by that which is fully spiritually authentic...'

Not a bad idea. Now I just need to schedule time to do that!

Things I'm pondering....
....what is the underlying reason that I push myself so hard? Ah yes, I know and was reminded by my mother...my unyielding desire to right my life's failures....
... how can I learn to not be a perfectionist?
... are there advantages to being lazy? If so, what are they?

No comments: